Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Manny O'Berry's Wonderful Idea!



Manny O'Berry is a friend of a friend on Facebook.  You may think I'm promoting this because I own a business that sells these products.  Simply not true.  A couple years ago our church's youth group went on a trip to Baltimore, MD.  We would have lunch out on a plaza.  Lunch was simply made up of lunchmeat, bread, chips, etc.  Two young ladies who were leaders in our group decided that they would make sandwiches from what we had left and a group set out to pass out these sandwiches to homeless all around the area we were visiting.  We could have given 100 messages about showing God's love to others, but those two young leaders showed the reality of it in about 30 minutes.  Please read Manny's plea below.  If you believe it's a good idea, please follow through.


I want to start a movement. I want to do something big that reaches over the entire United States. I figure the quickest way to do that is through the internet. I am not doing it to get famous or be recognized. I am simply doing it b/c I think that I have a nice idea and want to share it with everyone that I possibly can.

All of you know that in today's time it's been getting harder and harder to get by. Many have lost not only their jobs but their homes as well. Heck, some of us are just a couple dollars away from being homeless ourselves. Now there are the few that want to be homeless to evade wages, taxes, etc.... Whatever the reason may be, they live a life of simplicity and often a life of reliance on a good Samaritan.

So, I'll get back to my point and the reason for the title of this note in just one more second. Matthew 25:35-36 reads, "For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me." Then Jesus goes on to say in verse 40 that whenever we did this for one of His brothers that we, in fact, did it for Him.

This got me thinkin' some more now that it's getting colder outside. You see, during the summer I usually have extra bottles of water in my car so that if I see a stranger in need I can help him by giving him a bottle or two and make the day more bearable. So, here's my proposition: that we offer the warmth of our hearts to the hands of the homeless. Literally. If you go to your local retail store, check out the hunting/fishing section. You'll find these hand warmers that hunters, skiers, campers, and even football fans often use. You can stick them in your pocket or boot or wherever you want to keep from freezing while out in the chilly weather. I want everyone who can spare 5 bucks to buy a ten pack and keep them in your car. Next time you see that person sitting by the road with a sign, you can offer warmth.

So what do you think? I would love for this to catch on by word of mouth and spread like wildfire! Oh for those of you that don't get the snow and such, go ahead and stick with the water plan. Thanks all and God Bless!

1 comment:

  1. This is a wonderful idea Staci! Thank you for sharing your friends vision. (LeAnn)

    ReplyDelete