Saturday, December 31, 2011

It's a New Year...

Blah, blah, blah... seems like everywhere all we are hearing is it's a new year.  Time to change your weight!  Time to organize!  Time to BUY A NEW CAR!  I think it gets so pervasive that it's actually tuned out.  Well I hope you don't tune me out.

I was thinking about what I have done in this past year. It was strange because I wasn't really thinking about what I have done, I was thinking of what I should have done.  How I should have spent more time with family, or friends.  How I should have went fishing more often.  How, dare I say, I should have been more organized so I could do more things!  Isn't that how it goes though?  People look back through life at the things they didn't do.

My best friend's dad died of cancer several years ago.  He said something that has always stuck with me as he was going through the process cancer puts you through.  This a paraphrase, but basically he said he wished he would have taken the time to do the things he was waiting to do when he retired.  He had worked hard.  A full-time job with his own business on the side.  His dream was to go to Australia and he never had the chance.  He said he should have just done it.  I believe I have learned from him, but maybe not enough.  This summer was the first time I had seen his daughter, my best friend, in at least 3 years.

So I guess what I'm saying is, I can look back at what I haven't done this last year, or just try to do better this year.  Maybe it's best to build on the good I did in this last year.  Go fishing with my family more.  Take some time off.  Spend more time with friends.  Get out and get some fresh air once in a while.  Come to think of it now, I did do more of that this year than last!  Improvement is always good.  Happy New Year everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment