Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Christmas time is.... gone?

Could it be?  Is it true that Christmas has now passed?  Why does it still feel like we're in the "holiday season"?  I guess it's because we technically are.  We are in phase two.  This is when we decide how we will drastically change our lives for the next year, but end up being disappointed this time next year because we didn't keep our (wait for it...) R-E-S-O-L-U-T-I-O-N-S!  Cue the dramatic music, Dum DA Dum!

Why do we feel the need to put ourselves through this every year?  Who even started this tradition?  Probably some psychiatrist needing money this time of the year after overspending on his kids for Christmas!  I guess a little reflection is always good.  So what are your plans for this year?  What are you resolving to do? 

I have a few, but I will only share one with you.  I want to be a better business owner.  What I mean by this is not financially, well actually, yes financially! It's really more than that, though.  I want to think out of the box with my store.  Try new things.  Right now, we have already scheduled a Ladies Fishing Class/Tea for February.  Tell me that's not out of the box!  Have you ever heard of such a thing?  Also, I will be teaching an outdoor fishing class for ladies.  I have been asked to do this for a while.  I should have done this a while ago.  I have had numerous requests for ladies classes.  I have to admit that I have just been burnt out.  This was a busy year for us.  It started out with a huge endeavor.  Our store downsized BIG TIME!  We went down to about 1/3 of the size we had been.  I built a lot of displays with the help of my sisters.  The renovation could have actually been a reality show!  I believe in measure once, cut twice!  Yes, I know it's not the right way, but let's face it, I'm no carpenter!  I also painted, moved merchandise.  It was a monumental task.  When I finally got that whole situation organized, I had another surprise.  I had emergency surgery!  The surgery came after many tests which took me out of the store.  I came back to work quickly, but looking back now, I should have rested longer. 

I think the combo of both situations put me in a funk.  There were a lot of things I could not physically do after the surgery and I just gave up.  I am much better now and excited about the new year.  I'm excited to teach these classes.  My hope is that it will help ladies to not be intimidated by fishing.  Some may be single moms with kids who have been asking to go fishing.  Others may have enjoyed fishing as a young girl and just need a refresher.  Either way, I hope I can show them what there is to love about fishing.  I have always said, I love to fish because it's the one place no one can bother me.  You can't take your phone in the water with you.  It's so relaxing to hear the water flowing, feel the sun warming you...  If this sounds good to you and you're a lady, sign up for one of the classes.  The one in February will be indoors and warm.  What else do you have to do this winter?  After all, it's cold, and you know how I hate that!  Happy New Year to you all!  May God bless you throughout the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment