Saturday, November 3, 2012

Muzzleloader Season Begins

Today is the first day of muzzleloader season.  Today, I could post about the merits of hunting.  Or, I could talk about the modern muzzleloader, but I'm not. I'm going to post about one of my favorite things about hunting- Camaraderie.

Today I have checked in 3 deer.  With two of the deer, I had more than one person come with the person checking in the deer.  One group was father/son, the other were friends.  The other person who checked in was out with his son earlier, but didn't bring him to check in.  This is not to mention the people who wanted to check out the deer when they were here as the deer was checked in.

This is what hunting is about, spending time with the people you love and care about.  When people come in here, they are excited.  They want to talk about how they shot the deer.  Generally, there is a little trash talking between friends/family.  There is a lot of laughter.  They talk about the time they had while they were out together.  Shoot, I've even been invited on trips!  Thing is, it's all about time together.  It's an investment.  Look, if you heard about some of the food people made when they hunted, you'd probably start hunting yourself!

I think a lot of people don't understand this.  They think hunting is a bunch of rednecks out shooting.  They don't understand that this tradition is taught and passed down.  They don't understand how special it is for a dad to take his son or daughter out hunting for the first time.  Yes, I said daughter.  Girls hunt too!  This is about time and we really don't have a lot of it together do we?

Our customer, Archie, this morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment