Saturday, June 16, 2012

This Father's Day, Be A Dad!

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there.  I say dads, because there is a distinct difference in being a father and being a dad.  I am not saying this because it's my opinion.  I know for a fact.

My "father" never was a part of my life.  He decided to not be a part of my life right after I was born.  I remember talking to him one time in my entire life.  I also have no idea of what he looks like.  I never went fishing with him, played catch, learned a life lesson from him - other than be responsible for your children.

My "dad", on the other hand, came into my life when I was about 3.  He and my mom were married when I was almost 8.  He's everything my dad wasn't and I am so thankful that God gave me him.  He did play catch in the backyard with me.  He did teach me life lessons.  To this day, one of my favorite things to do with my dad is surf fish.

So men, be a dad this Father's Day.  If you haven't up to this point, please get involved in your child's life.  I can give you quotes and studies about how dads are important, but let's be honest, you know.  This Father's Day, give your kids a gift.  The gift of time spent.  The gift of saying "I love you" or "I'm proud of you".  Your kids will not forget it.

By the way, Happy Father's Day, Dad.  I love you!

2 comments: