Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Ladies Fishing?

Women are the largest growing segment in fishing.  Studies have been done that show many women are interested in going fishing, but are leery because they don't know how, or they don't want to touch the fish.  I'm gonna let you in on a secret here.  I used to be one of those women!  I know, I know... you say that's impossible!  Sadly, it's true, but not anymore!

Those of you who know me, probably think I'm tough.  I hear that a lot and I don't know why.  I cry at Little House on the Prairie for goodness sakes!  Anyway, I am fiercely competitive.  I didn't fish for the longest time because I did not want to touch the fish.  When I would ask my husband to take the fish off, he would give me a hard time.  I know that's hard to believe- a man giving a woman a hard time about something they hate.  Alas, it's true...  So, I just would go until I had to hear the complaining about taking the fish off then I would be done.

The thing is I liked fishing.  I started taking the fish off the hook without touching the fish.  That worked ok for most fish, but I started catching larger fish and it just sort of happened.  You really can't brag about your catch when someone is taking it off the hook for you.  So you have to take that fish off.  The only fish I have an issue taking off the hook is saltwater.  That is mainly because those fish can actually hurt you!  I don't know all the spots to touch them, yet.  I will learn as time goes by, but for now, my dad is a wealth of knowledge for me.

Me holding a nice smallmouth just to prove I'm telling the truth, not for bragging purposes!
I take pride that women and young kids can come to my store and learn about fishing without feeling belittled.  I have had people tell me before that they appreciated that about my store.  I mean, isn't the whole idea that we all go fishing?  It is great fun to go as a family.  I love fishing with my kids!  So, I'm teaching a class for ladies who want to learn to fish this weekend.  It's amazing how many mom's want to take their kids, but won't because they just don't know how.  Or, how many girls want to fish with their guy friends, but are intimidated.  If you would like to come, there is still time to sign up.  Hey, you will know what a Palomar knot is by the end and you will be able to tie one!  How about that!

No comments:

Post a Comment