Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Friday night football

As many of you know, I live in a small town.  No, I wasn't born in a small town like Mellencamp sang.  I live in a small town.  So anyway, come fall, football rules life.  The sun rises and sets by football.  When I first went to a game, it was overwhelming.  People worship this team.  Some older men, and I do mean older, still wear their letter jackets.  People really get into the game, as if these high schoolers are pro players.  The atmosphere is electric, especially if it's a rivalry game.

So this last Friday, I went to the first home game.  I ended up sitting next to a player's mom.  I won't mention who the player was, but the kid played a great game.  He plays a pretty big roll on the team.  Two older gentlemen were sitting behind me.  They were ranting about everything- the refs, the team's level of enthusiasm, how the quarterback threw... you get the picture.  So much so, that you could see, it started bothering the mom about halfway through the game.  I leaned over to her and said, "You ever seen the Muppet Show?" She said, "Yeah."  I said, "Those are the two old guys that used to sit up in the box and complain all the time."





So next time you go to a high school game, or for that point any game with amateurs playing, remember that's someone's child your yelling about or at.  Watch what you say while your screaming fanatically at the field and the kids.


2 comments:

  1. LOVE this! Yes, football has become the antithesis of sports, and I for one, love it! I'll look for you at the next game!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I doubt I'll be in the same section, but you can usually find me near the 50 yd line...

    ReplyDelete