Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Snow Storm Names?

A few months ago, I realized that they were officially naming winter storms now.   The Weather Channel in their never-ending quest to hype up weather has apparently decided this is necessary for the good of humanity.  This seriously annoys me for some reason.  For the most part they have been lame names, but they are far better than the ones we get from the DC area when a winter storm comes through!

I grew up in the Washington Metro area and somehow I missed when the transition went to cutesy snow storm names.  It was always the storm of (insert year here).  Who has the job of giving the storm cutesy names and why?  We are currently living through the Snowquester.  Really?  Snowquester?  My hands are actually embarrassed for typing it!  We have also had Snowmaggedon.  I swear, I am not making this up!

Is this something that just happens to east coast cities?  I mean seriously, would a Midwestern city embarrass themselves by naming a storm?  If they were going to be honest with the storm names in the Washington area, I have a few for them- Trafficpalooza, Slideganza, Snowballslowdownathon, the Congressionalclogup (have to give my son credit for that one).

I'm sure you guys have some good names for storms.  If you live in the Midwest  or anywhere else, I'd like to know if you guys do anything like this.


No comments:

Post a Comment