Friday, August 3, 2012

Summer Olympics...

I have a confession to make.  I LOVE the Olympics.  I love to sit with my family and watch them.  I know that these people compete all the time, but there is something about the pageantry of the Olympics that makes it special.  I mean the host country and city puts it's best foot forward.  People are hyped up to break records.  Mainly, there is such a source of national pride during the Olympics!

Who couldn't be moved while watching Gabby Douglas win the gold last night?  Or, watching Phelps enjoy his last moments in the Olympics by winning a gold and getting teary eyed as the National Anthem played?  Or, the many athletes who have won swimming events when no one gave them a chance?  Just watching the joy and exuberance on their face is... well... heartwarming. 

Yes, heartwarming!  I know it's cheesy, but really, isn't it what we want?  There is so much in the news and world to make your heart, not just cold, but shiver.  Here in the US before the Olympics began, we had a man who was purely evil decide to kill people in a movie theater.  One of the swimmers in the Olympics goes to school in the very town it occurred in.  We need to cheer.  We want to cheer.  We want good news.

So for two weeks this August, my family and I will be screaming for the home team.  We will watch with awe as people from all over the world do things that takes years of training.  I mean, have you seen those table tennis players?  You could put an eye out!  I couldn't even qualify for that in the Olympics!  Once it is over, I will go into sports depression, but not for long!  Football is coming soon!

I leave you with Gabby's smile- HEARTWARMING!
Photo courtesy of:  http://www.rantsports.com/videos/files/2012/08/Gabby-Douglas.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment