Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Champions Part 2

Photo credit: washingtonpost.com
I love sports.  Always have.  I think at this point high school sports are my favorite.  It's the purest form of sports, maybe other than rec league.  There's a difference with high school though.  They are good enough to know their sport by then.  Many even excel at it.  They still have the love of the game and they play with all their hearts.  They play for each other and pride.

On Saturday, I traveled to UMBC (University of Maryland Baltimore County) to see the Gaithersburg High School girls win their second 4A Championship.  52-0!  Two straight years of wins.  Amazing.  I'm sorry that this is the first time I have seen them play.  I let work get in the way too many times, well actually last year it was surgery,  but not Saturday.  It was well worth it.  They played with heart, teamwork and determination.  It was clear they were the better team, not just by play, but conditioning.  Teams  To know they could count on one another.  I never saw them give up, even though they were down. 

I have to say, I'm maybe a little biased because one of the girls on the team will forever be called one of the "little girls"  by me.  So, she's taller than me.  Yeah, she's going to college.  Yeah, she's a two time champ in high school and a skilled player.   Look, when you know someone from birth and they are the youngest of a family of 7 that's how it is!  Sorry, Colleen.  Well, actually, not really.

So congratulations Colleen Marshall and Gaithersburg High School Girls basketball team!  You are truly champs, but even more important, you are a team of excellence.  If you'd like to read more about them check out the Post article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/highschools/girls-basketball-gaithersburg-beats-wise-for-second-straight-maryland-4a-title/2012/03/10/gIQACq993R_story.html


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Staci and family for coming. You are such a special part of our lives!!! love you guys. --Dottie (I published as anonymous bc I didn't know what else to do :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dottie, I love you guys as well and was so happy to be able to come. It was really cool to see you guys so proud. You are an awesome mom! What a great job you have done. I guess all that driving around pays off one day, huh?

    As for posting, you can post with your gmail account or you can follow my blog if you like. Thanks for reading it.

    ReplyDelete